You must have visited an Italian restaurant recently and ordered a Cannoli. Now, you receive the order and grab a bite of the Cannoli that you just ordered. As soon as the bite melts in your mouth, you wonder how they make such good Cannoli. You also start to think why you can’t make similar tasty pudding at home. Well, you have got your questions answered as I am here to give you a quick recipe to make the Sicilian pudding, just like in an Italian Restaurant.
Subscribe to my Newsletter!
Subscribe to receive learning materials, curiosities, offers and much more. Join the community, now!
For Cannoli shells
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sweet Marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg white
- 1 quart oil for frying, or as needed
- 1 (32 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, or to taste
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (optional)
Recipe to make Cannoli same as an Italian Restaurant
- Take a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon together. Cut the shortening into pea-shaped pieces.
- Now, create a hole in the middle and add egg, egg yolk, Marsala wine, Vinegar and Water.
- Mix the mixture with fork until the dough becomes hard and knead it by hand on a clean surface.
- Add water if needed for all the dry ingredients to mix well. Knead for 10 minutes and place the dough in refrigerator for 1 or 2 hours afterwards.
- Divide the Cannoli dough into one-thirds and flatten them so that they can get into the pasta makers.
- Roll the dough through thinner settings until it gets to its thinnest level. If needed, dust flour to the dough.
- Place the sheet of dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Use a form or large glass or bowl and cut out 4 to 5 inch circles.
- Dust the circles with a light coating of flour. This will help make the circles rougher so that shells from the tubes can be removed easily. Roll dough around cannoli tubes, sealing the edge with a small amount of egg white.
- Now, heat the oil to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C in deep fryer.
- Fry shells on the tube until they turn golden which will take 2-3 minutes. You can add 4-5 shells at once.
- Take out the shells and place them for cooling over a paper towel so that the oil gets soaked.
- Cool them enough so that you can handle them and remove the tubes.
- Wash the tubes and use them to make more shells.
- Make the filling to place inside the shells now.
- Stir the ricotta cheese and confectioner’s sugar using a spoon.
- Add lemon zest and chocolate to it.
- Add the filling to a pastry bag and fill it into the shells.
- Dust confectioner’s sugar and chocolate from the top for garnish while serving.
Now, there are some tips which I would like to give you about making Cannoli. The Cannoli tubes are very important here. So make sure to ask any local grocer for Cannoli tubes which are of stainless steel and 6-8 inches long.
You can also get 2-3 people involved in Cannoli duty so that if one is making dough, other one is frying them and one is removing them from the shells. This makes the process so much faster and easier.
It is not hard at all to make Cannoli same as an Italian Restaurant. All you need is patience and a good recipe (which I have given you above). No one was able to make perfect Cannoli in first try, not even the Chefs of Italian restaurants, so probably, not even you are not going to. It takes a lot of patience and accuracy. Therefore, make sure to keep on trying until you succeed. 🙂
You can buy my book here. I hope you enjoy it!
Did you like this article? Leave a comment and share it
Ti é piaciuto questo articolo? Lascia un commento e condividilo
Like my page on Facebook to be always updated!
For private lessons, queries or any info, just contact me!
A presto! ♥♥♥
2 thoughts on “How Do They Make Cannoli To-Die-For In An Italian Restaurant?”